No. 5 
	The loss of Captain Charlton's plane and soon afterwards the loss 
of another plane by fire on the ground in China, necessitated replace- 
ments from route 81 equipment. In addition, still another plane was 
found to be incapable of flying the high altitude needed in the operation, 
so was returned to the United States by Captain Hughen. With him on the 
return trip, Captain Hughen was able to take a full load of personnel, 
some of whom had been sick and others, who for various reasons were 
found to be sub par in their performances. 

	The removal of this group tended to improve personnel relationship 
in the small compact group comprising the project. This same policy of 
elimination of both sick and otherwise unuseable personnel was followed 
when still another unsatisfactory plane was returned for overhaul. This 
process of reducing personnel tended to maintain an active and enthusiastic 
group, who did not have time to become discontented. 

	The writer accompanied two replacement planes to Tezpur and remained 
on the project from late September through October and November, when 
operations were taken over by the Army. 

	Upon my arrival in Tezpur, it was found that the Monsoons were 
begining to abate, the health of the personnel was generally good, the 
messing was fair and the camp itself was in fairly good shape. Morel 
was found to be good with the exception of some discontent being 
bred by some personnel who had been removed from active duty. This situation 
was quickly handled by returning them to the states as noted above. 

	The engine replacement situation was found to be acute as was the 
parts situation and thus was causing the grounding of airplanes. Since 
Captain O'Conner and his staff had their hands full, I undertook to 
follow up on engines and parts, tried to improve rations and negotiate 
with Wing Headquarters regarding policies as well as plans to provide 
for the termination of the project. Through contacts at Chabua, engine 
and parts were obtained fairly quickly and channels were opened up which 
expedited future A. P. C. C. requisitions. 

	Also, through Col. Hardin at Chabua, it was found that a 30 day 
extension of American Airlines assignment would have to be requested 
and also that the C-87's we were operating would have to remain in this 
area. This brought up the question of returning personnel to New York, 
and finally an agreement was reached with Col. Hardin that he would term- 
inate the project on November 30 and would start to take over about 
November 20. On this basis requests for priorities were made in groups 
of 15 persons and submitted for approval. 

	Through the base Commander at Tezpur, arrangements were made for 
additional Army personnel to handle cooking and messing facilities, also 
additional rations were found to be available and additional labor was 
found to service latrines and clean up the camp.

 No. 6 ( next )